Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler will present SPED/504 Eligibility as part of the SPED Legal Breakfast Series on December 18, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. at CESA #1 located at N25 W23131 Paul Road, Suite 100 Pewaukee, WI 53072. Please visit www.cesa1.k12.wi.us for more information.
HR @ the Bar
Please join us for a relaxed networking/social event with other human resources professionals and business owners/leaders. You’ll learn a little more about what’s new in non-compete agreements, non-disclosure agreements, severance agreements and other employment-related contracts, and spend the rest of the evening socializing and enjoying local craft beers at:
Raised Grain Brewing Co.
1725 Dolphin Drive, Suite B
Waukesha, WI 53186
5:00 – 5:30 p.m. Registration and Social
5:30 – 6:00 p.m. Discussion on Employment-related Contracts led by Attorneys Brian Waterman and Brett Schnepper
6:00 – 7:00 p.m. Social/Networking
Register now for this fun and insightful event. There is no charge to attend this event and the first beer is on us for everyone who RSVPs! Space is limited so be sure to register soon.
Breakfast Briefing: The 4 Horsemen of the Internet Apocalypse
Twitter. Email. Facebook. YouTube. They have destroyed many a career and they will likely destroy many more. While powerful tools for recruiting employees, and promoting your products and services, a great deal of harm can be done with careless use. But, what can a company do to limit and/or restrict usage of these forms of electronic communication and what steps should you be taking to protect yourself? We will discuss these issues and more. Join us!
There is no registration fee. Please RSVP at the link below.
Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler will present an Ethics Session at the OT/PT Conference on Friday November 8, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. until noon at the Glacier Canyon Conference Center in Wisconsin Dells.
State and Local Government Labor and Employment Law Committee
Attorney Mark Olson will be chairing a meeting of the State and Local Government Labor and Employment Law Committee at the National Labor Law Conference of the American Bar Association in New Orleans, LA on November 7, 2019. Please visit www.americanbar.org for more information.
Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler will present Discipline Procedures as part of the SPED Legal Breakfast Series on October 25, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. at CESA #1 located at N25 W23131 Paul Road, Suite 100 Pewaukee, WI 53072. Please visit www.cesa1.k12.wi.us for more information.
Human Resources 101
Attorney Lisa Bergersen will be presenting “Human Resources 101,” at the League of Wisconsin Municipalities’ Annual Conference on October 23, 2019 in Green Bay. For more information visit https://www.lwm-info.org/731/Annual-Conference.
Hot Topics in Special Education and Sec. 504
Attorney Mary Gerbig will be presenting Hot Topics in Special Education and Sec. 504 to School Nurses and School Psychologists on October 21, 2019 at CESA #8 located at 23 W Park St, Gillett, WI 54124. Please visit http://www.cesa8.k12.wi.us/ for more information.
Toxic Employees in the Workplace
Attorney Lisa Bergersen will be presenting “Toxic Employees in the Workplace,” at the WI State SHRM Conference from 6:30 – 7:30 a.m. on October 18, 2019. Please visit http://wishrm.org/2019-State-Conference for more information.
Ethics for Speech and Language Therapists
Attorney Mary Gerbig will be presenting Ethics for Speech and Language Therapists on October 18, 2019 at CESA #2 located at the Whitewater Innovation Center, 1221 Innovation Dr. #205, Whitewater, WI 53190. Please visit www.cesa2.k12.wi.us for more information.
Labor and Employment Law
Attorney Robert Buikema will be presenting a Labor and Employment presentation at the Fall Conference for CUE from October 13-15, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Please visit www.cueinc.com for more information.
Hot Topics for Special Education
Attorney Mary Gerbig will be speaking to the CESA #2 Regional Special Education Network (RSN) regarding “Hot Topics in Special Education” covering recent Due Process issues and use of paraprofessionals.
College of Labor and Employment Lawyers 7th Circuit Fellows’ Fall Program for Law Students
Attorney Mark Olson will be a panelist for the 7th Annual Law Student Program as part of The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers 7th Circuit Fellows’ Fall Program for Law Students to be held on Saturday, October 5, 2019. This event will be hosted by Chicago Kent College of Law, 564 West Adams Street, Morris Hall – 10th floor, Chicago IL.
This event is free of charge, however an RSVP is required by October 3, 2019 to Jennifer Motley at 410-972-4712 or email@example.com.
Evolving Law Regarding Cannabis
Attorney Joel Aziere will present the “Evolving Law Regarding Cannabis” at the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Employment Law Update 2019. The event will be held at the Radisson Hotel Milwaukee West, 2303 N. Mayfair Rd., Milwaukee, WI 53226. Registration is required via the Wisconsin State Bar website.
Hot Topics in Pupil Service and Special Education
Attorney Mary Gerbig will be presenting Hot Topics in Pupil Service and Special Education at the Regional Special Education Network Meeting at CESA #7 located at 595 Baeten Road, Green Bay, WI 54304 on September 23, 2019. Please visit www.cesa7.org for more information.
Human Resource Law from Start to Finish
Attorneys Claire Hartley, Brett Schnepper and Brian Waterman will be presenting “Human Resource Law from Start to Finish” in Green Bay, WI on September 11, 2019. Please visit www.nbi-sems.com for more information.
Human Resource Law 101
Attorney Claire Hartley will be conducting a video webcast titled “Human Resource Law 101” on August 28, 2019. Please visit www.nbi-sems.com for further information.
Know Your Annual Meeting Laws
Attorney Gary Ruesch will present at the 2019-2020 WASDA First Year Superintendents Academy Workshop I, which will be held at the Holiday Inn in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.
Special Education Pressure Points: Preparing for the 2019-2020 School Year
Attorney Gary Ruesch will present at the WASDA Legal Seminar, which will be held at the Stone Harbor Resort in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
When Dangerous Students Meet Difficult Teachers
Attorney Gary Ruesch will be presenting “When Dangerous Students Meet Difficult Teachers” at the WASPA Summer Legal Conference, which will be held at the Stone Harbor Resort in Sturgeon Bay, WI on July 9-10, 2019. Please visit www.waspa.org for further information.
- May 18, 2017: Attorney Joel Aziere and Attorney Suzanne Glisch presented "Getting Lost in the Weed: A Journey Through the Rapidly Changing World of Legalized Cannibis" at the 2017 Annual Conference of the Wisconsin Association of Corporate Counsel in Elkhart Lake, WI.
- May 4, 2017: Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler presented "Endrew F. and Top 10 Essentials Directors Need to Know Right Now" at the WCASS Spring Conference in Madison, WI.
- April 24, 2017: Attorney Robert Buikema presented "Trump's First 100 Days - Labor Law Developments, Trends and Predictions" at the CUE Conference in Newport Beach, California.
- April 17, 2017: Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler presented "Legal Update for the Passionate Reflective Educator" as part of Cardinal Stritch University's Breakfast Series.
- April 13, 2017: Attorney Gary Ruesch presented “Current Issues in Educational Law” as part of Cardinal Stritch University’s Breakfast Conversation Series.
- April 6-7, 2017: Attorney Mark Olson presented"Off-Duty Misconduct and Teacher Contract Non-Renewal" during the Wisconsin Association of School Personnel Administrators (WASPA) Spring Conference.
- March 9-10, 2017: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented "Behavior Interventions, IEPs and FAPE: A View From Washington" during the 24th Annual Institute on Educating Children with Emotional and Behavioral Disabilities in Wausau, WI.
- March 8, 2017: Gary Ruesch and Claire Hartley presented "Special Education Transportation" and participated in a panel discussion on best practices during the Wisconsin Association of School Business Officials' Transportation & Bus Safety Conference in Wisconsin Dells, WI.
- February 2, 2017: Renae Aldana and Alana Leffler presented "Legal Update: Education Cases Pention Before U.S. Supreme Court & Section 504 Update" during the WCASS Conference in Appleton, WI.
- January 28, 2017: Mark Olson presented "Constitutional Due Process Developments" during the ABA Labor Law Section Mid-Winter Meeting in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
- January 19, 2017: Several attorneys presented during our School Law Program and Reception at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center.
- December 16, 2016: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented "Charter School Law in Wisconsin" at the National Business Institute's seminar at the Holiday Inn Pewaukee-Milwaukee West.
- November 17, 2016: Joel Aziere and Alana Leffler presented "Social Media in the Employment Arena" during a Breakfast Briefing at the Majestic Theater in Waukesha.
- November 12, 2016: Mark Olson presented "Off-Duty Conduct of State and Local Government Employees" at the 10th Annual American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Conference in Chicago, IL.
- October 14, 2016: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented "Legal Update for Administrators" at the Archdiocesan Education Convention at the Wisconsin Center in Milwaukee, WI.
- October 13-14, 2016: Alana Leffler co-presented "What School Board Members Need to Know About a District's Special Education Obligations" at the WSAA/WASM School Law Conference at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells, WI.
- October 13, 2016: Gary Ruesch presented "The Ethics of Negotiations" at the WSAA/WASB School Law Conference at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells, WI.
- October 8, 2016: Mark Olson participated in a panel presentation to The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers Fall Law School Program in Chicago, IL.
- September 19, 2016: Susan Love and Brett Schnepper presented "Navigating the ADA, FMLA and Workers' Compensation Laws" during a Breakfast Briefing at the Majestic Theater in Waukesha.
- June 23, 2016: Matthew Flanary presented "Affordable Care Act for Municipal Employers" from 8:30-10:00 a.m. and from 10:15-11:45 a.m. for the League of Wisconsin Municipalities—Clerks, Treasurers and Finance Officers Institute, held at the Heidel House in Green Lake, WI.
- April 22, 2016: Mary Hubacher and Nancy Pirkey presented "Trends in Labor and Employment Law for Municipal Employers" at the Municipal Treasurers Association of Wisconsin Spring 2016 Conference, held at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel in Appleton, WI.
- May 5, 2016: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented at the Wisconsin Council of Administrators for Student Services, Spring 2015 Conference, held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Madison, WI. Mary Hubacher will also present "Challenging Behaviors, Discipline and the Law" on Thursday May 5.
- May 15, 2016: Rob Buikema presented "Ask The Expert—An Overview of Recent Developments in Labor Law" at the CUE—Positive Employee Relations conference on Sunday May 15 in Orlando, Florida.
- April 14, 2016: Gary Ruesch facilitated a discussion "Essential Question: Current Educational Law—What do we need to know?" for Cardinal Stritch Unversity's Breakfast Conversation Series.
- March 15, 2016: Gary Ruesch presented "How to Provide Legally Defensible Services: Point-Counter-Point" at the CESA #1 special education event in Pewaukee, WI.
- February 25, 2016: Joel Aziere presented "NLRB – Understanding the Evolving Landscape" at the MRA's Annual Federal and Wisconsin Employment Law Update, held in Milwaukee, WI.
- February 24, 2016: Gary Ruesch joined Lynn Boreson for a Point Counter-Point presentation at the 23rd Annual EBD Institute, held at the Westwood Conference Center in Wausau, WI. The event was sponsored by Marathon County Special Education.
- February 3, 2016: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented "Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students" at the WCASS Winter Conference in Appleton, Wisconsin.
- January 22, 2016: Mark Olson will present "Procedural Due Process Issues and Decisions" to the ABA Labor Law Midwinter Conference in New Orleans, LA. For more information, visit the ABA Web site >
- January 21, 2016: 2016 School Law Program & Reception, coinciding with the 2016 School Board Winter Conference. Sessions included "Retiree Health Insurance Issues" (Matthew Flanary and Kevin Pollard), "Transgender Nondiscrimination" (Mark Olson and Alana Leffler), and "Individual Contracts/Teachers/Administrators" (Dan Vliet and Gary Ruesch).
- January 8, 2016: Matthew Flanary presented "ACA Refresher for 2016" to the Municipal Employers Association of Southeast Wisconsin.
- November 13, 2015: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented "Emerging Legal Issues in 2015-16" at the CESA #1 Statewide School-Based OT/PT Conference in the Wisconsin Dells.
- October 15, 2015: Dan Vliet presented "Saying Goodbye: Law and Strategy for Managing Resignations, Buyouts and Retirements" at the 2015 WSAA/WASB Employment & School Law Seminar held in Madison, WI.
- October 15, 2015: Mary Hubacher presented "What's Trending with Federal and State Agencies on Student Discrimination Issues?" at the 2015 WSAA/WASB Employment & School Law Seminar held in Madison, WI.
- October 10, 2015: Mark Olson presented on a panel at the 7th Circuit Fellows' Fall Program for Law Students, "Transitioning to Practice: Getting Noticed, Getting Hired, and Being Successful"—at the Chicago office of Winston and Strawn LLP, in Chicago.
- July 29-31, 2015: Gary Ruesch presented "Results Driven Accountability: What Should Districts Do in 2015-16 and Beyond?" as part of the Wisconsin Association of School District Administrators (WASDA) Legal Seminar, held July 29-31 at the Stone Harbor Resort in Sturgeon Bay, WI.
- July 28, 2015: Nancy Pirkey provided an "FLSA Update" at the Master Academy of Civic and Public Affairs sponsored by the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.
- July 14, 2015: Alana Leffler presented "Section 504: An Overview and Practice Tips for Avoiding Compliance Mistakes" at the Waukesha School District Section 504 staff inservice.
- July 13, 2015: Nancy Pirkey presented "Basic Employment Law for Municipal Officials" at the Municipal Clerks & Treasurers Institute in Green Bay, WI.
- June 16, 2015: Matthew Flanary presented "Affordable Care Act for Municipal Employers" as part of the League of Wisconsin Municipalities' 2015 Clerks, Treasurers & Finance Officers Institute in Oshkosh, WI.
- June 5, 2015: Mark Olson and Alana Leffler presented "Top Things A Beginning Principal Should Know" to future Wisconsin School Administrators, through the Woodrow Wilson MBA Fellowship in Education Leadership at the Milwaukee School of Engineering.
- May 17, 2015: Mark Olson will be 50th Anniversary School Commencement speaker at University School of Milwaukee.