MSOE MBA in Education Leadership Program
Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler will give a presentation on Student Expression, Dress Code, Free Speech, Parental Involvement and Electronics in Schools as part of the Milwaukee School of Engineering’s MBA in Education Leadership Program. The presentation will take place at the Rader School of Business at 1235 N. Milwaukee Street, Milwaukee, WI.
NBI Seminar School Law Expert Panel
Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler will present a Special Education Law Update: FAPE and More on November 9, 2018 beginning at 9:00 a.m. This presentation will be part of the NBI Seminar School Law Expert Panel: How to Handle Your Biggest Challenges, which will be held in Milwaukee, WI.
WASPA Legal Seminar for Experienced HR Practitioners
Attorney Gary Ruesch will present “Equal Pay/Gender Equality/Sexual Harassment” on August 7, 2018 beginning at 8:15 a.m. as part of the WASPA Legal Seminar for Experienced HR Practitioners, which will be held at the Stone Harbor Resort in Sturgeon Bay, WI.
WASDA New Superintendent Academy 2018-2019
Attorney Gary Ruesch will present “Know Your Annual Meeting Laws” on August 2, 2018 beginning at 1:30 p.m. as part of the WASDA New Superintendent Academy 2018-2019. The event will take place at the Holiday Inn in Stevens Point, WI. Visit www.wasda.org for registration information.
WASDA Legal Seminar
Attorney Gary Ruesch will present “Special Education Plus” on July 26, 2018 beginning at 9:30 a.m. as part of the WASDA Legal Seminar, which will be held at the Stone Harbor Resort in Sturgeon Bay, WI. Attorney Ruesch will discuss the legal relationship between trauma exposed students and the obligations under Section 504 and the IDEA.
Association of Corporate Counsel 2018 Annual Conference
Attorney Joel Aziere and Attorney Suzanne Glisch will present “Freedom of Speech Does Not Mean Freedom From Consequence” on May 18, 2018, beginning at 10:00 a.m. as part of the Wisconsin Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel’s 2018 Annual Conference and Meeting of Members. The event will be held on May 17 thru May 18, 2018, at The Osthoff Resort in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.
Statutory Employment Rights: Public, Private, Choice and Termination (Removal, Dismissal, Contract Non-Renewal)
Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler will present on statutory employment rights as part of the MSOE Legal Issue Seminar Series.
Cutting Edge Legal Issues Which Building Administrators and Practitioners Need to Know
Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler will present “Cutting Edge Legal Issues Which Building Administrators and Practitioners Need to Know,” as part of Cardinal Stritch University’s Principals’ Center Breakfast Series at the Midway Hotel in Brookfield, WI. Participation is open to all leaders of public, parochial, and private K-12 schools/districts.
CUE Inc. 2018 Spring Conference
Attorney Robert Buikema will be part of a panel speaking on the topic of Employee Engagement at a Nationwide Human Resources Professional Resources Group, CUE Inc. The event will take place in Tampa, Florida on April 15-17, 2018, as part of the CUE, Inc. Spring Conference. Further details can be found on the organization’s website.
Breakfast Briefing: Bullying and Harassment in the Workplace
Today, more than ever, preventing and effectively responding to harassment and bullying in the workplace is critical for your businesses’ or public entities’ reputation and financial wellbeing. Do you know how to respond if a complaint is made in your organization? Join us, as attorneys Susan Love and Claire Hartley discuss the law, present tips for how to identify and avoid risk behaviors, and provide insight on how to handle complaints.
Endrew F., FAPE and RDA
Attorneys Gary M. Ruesch and Alana M. Leffler will present “Endrew F., FAPE, and RDA” at a NSBA/COSA webcast seminar on March 14, 2018. Please contact Sonja Trainor at the National School Boards Association or click here for more information.
Rotary Club of Milwaukee – #MeToo Panel
Buelow Vetter Attorney and Rotary Past-President Dan Vliet will open and participate in a panel discussion hosted by the Rotary Club of Milwaukee on March 6, 2018, at the War Memorial Center at 750 N. Lincoln Memorial Drive. The primary focus of the conversation will be on the increasingly widespread recognition that sexual harassment exists in many workplaces and that it has adversely impacted the lives and careers of many women. What must we do to address it? What do we do now? The three panelists participating include:
Jonas Prising, Chairman and CEO, ManpowerGroup
Steve Stall, Business Leader of Inclusion, Rockwell Automation
Jen Dirks, CEO, TEMPO Milwaukee
Dan will introduce the panel and open the discussion with an overview of the situation today. He will also offer some personal observations from his perspective as a management-side employment lawyer.
Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler will present a Legal Update at the Marathon County Special Education EBD Institute.
2018 WCMA Winter Conference Emerging Leader Session
Attorney Mark Olson will be a panelist at the 2018 WCMA Winter Conference Emerging Leader Session: Public Safety Labor Relations 101 on February 28, 2018, at The Lismore Hotel in Eau Claire, WI. He will be speaking about labor mediations, union relations, Act 10 and more.
Student Discipline; Due Process; Student Rights; Search & Seizure and Parent Demands/Dictation of School Response; and Privacy Rights/Right to Know
Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler will present on student discipline and the intricacies of student rights, parent demands and school response, as part of the MSOE Legal Issue Seminar Series.
2018 School Law Program & Reception
Special Education: What You Need to Know Now
Attorney Gary M. Ruesch and Attorney Alana M. Leffler will present “Special Education: What You Need to Know Now” at a National Business Institute webcast seminar.
Top Special Education Legal Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)
Buelow Vetter attorneys Gary M. Ruesch and Alana M. Leffler will co-present “Top Special Education Legal Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)” at a National Business Institute seminar for continuing legal education. The seminar will be held at the Holiday Inn Pewaukee-Milwaukee West, N14 W24140 Tower Place, Pewaukee, WI 53072.
Student Expression, Dress Codes, Free Speech and Electronics in School: Social Media, Bullying on-line, Student Record Apps, Public Records, Privacy Rights
Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler will present on student expression, free speech and privacy rights in school, as part of the MSOE Legal Issue Seminar Series.
Breakfast Briefing: Getting Lost in the Weed
There are now 28 states that permit the use of medical marijuana, and Wisconsin may soon be added to that list. These changes likely require employers to change their perceptions of longstanding drug policies and practices. What happens when one of your employees presents a doctor’s order for medical cannabis as a reasonable accommodation? Join us, as attorneys Joel Aziere and Suzanne Glisch discuss this and the other challenges employers may face in the near future.
- May 18, 2017: Attorney Joel Aziere and Attorney Suzanne Glisch presented "Getting Lost in the Weed: A Journey Through the Rapidly Changing World of Legalized Cannibis" at the 2017 Annual Conference of the Wisconsin Association of Corporate Counsel in Elkhart Lake, WI.
- May 4, 2017: Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler presented "Endrew F. and Top 10 Essentials Directors Need to Know Right Now" at the WCASS Spring Conference in Madison, WI.
- April 24, 2017: Attorney Robert Buikema presented "Trump's First 100 Days - Labor Law Developments, Trends and Predictions" at the CUE Conference in Newport Beach, California.
- April 17, 2017: Attorney Gary Ruesch and Attorney Alana Leffler presented "Legal Update for the Passionate Reflective Educator" as part of Cardinal Stritch University's Breakfast Series.
- April 13, 2017: Attorney Gary Ruesch presented “Current Issues in Educational Law” as part of Cardinal Stritch University’s Breakfast Conversation Series.
- April 6-7, 2017: Attorney Mark Olson presented"Off-Duty Misconduct and Teacher Contract Non-Renewal" during the Wisconsin Association of School Personnel Administrators (WASPA) Spring Conference.
- March 9-10, 2017: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented "Behavior Interventions, IEPs and FAPE: A View From Washington" during the 24th Annual Institute on Educating Children with Emotional and Behavioral Disabilities in Wausau, WI.
- March 8, 2017: Gary Ruesch and Claire Hartley presented "Special Education Transportation" and participated in a panel discussion on best practices during the Wisconsin Association of School Business Officials' Transportation & Bus Safety Conference in Wisconsin Dells, WI.
- February 2, 2017: Renae Aldana and Alana Leffler presented "Legal Update: Education Cases Pention Before U.S. Supreme Court & Section 504 Update" during the WCASS Conference in Appleton, WI.
- January 28, 2017: Mark Olson presented "Constitutional Due Process Developments" during the ABA Labor Law Section Mid-Winter Meeting in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
- January 19, 2017: Several attorneys presented during our School Law Program and Reception at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center.
- December 16, 2016: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented "Charter School Law in Wisconsin" at the National Business Institute's seminar at the Holiday Inn Pewaukee-Milwaukee West.
- November 17, 2016: Joel Aziere and Alana Leffler presented "Social Media in the Employment Arena" during a Breakfast Briefing at the Majestic Theater in Waukesha.
- November 12, 2016: Mark Olson presented "Off-Duty Conduct of State and Local Government Employees" at the 10th Annual American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Conference in Chicago, IL.
- October 14, 2016: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented "Legal Update for Administrators" at the Archdiocesan Education Convention at the Wisconsin Center in Milwaukee, WI.
- October 13-14, 2016: Alana Leffler co-presented "What School Board Members Need to Know About a District's Special Education Obligations" at the WSAA/WASM School Law Conference at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells, WI.
- October 13, 2016: Gary Ruesch presented "The Ethics of Negotiations" at the WSAA/WASB School Law Conference at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells, WI.
- October 8, 2016: Mark Olson participated in a panel presentation to The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers Fall Law School Program in Chicago, IL.
- September 19, 2016: Susan Love and Brett Schnepper presented "Navigating the ADA, FMLA and Workers' Compensation Laws" during a Breakfast Briefing at the Majestic Theater in Waukesha.
- June 23, 2016: Matthew Flanary presented "Affordable Care Act for Municipal Employers" from 8:30-10:00 a.m. and from 10:15-11:45 a.m. for the League of Wisconsin Municipalities—Clerks, Treasurers and Finance Officers Institute, held at the Heidel House in Green Lake, WI.
- April 22, 2016: Mary Hubacher and Nancy Pirkey presented "Trends in Labor and Employment Law for Municipal Employers" at the Municipal Treasurers Association of Wisconsin Spring 2016 Conference, held at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel in Appleton, WI.
- May 5, 2016: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented at the Wisconsin Council of Administrators for Student Services, Spring 2015 Conference, held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Madison, WI. Mary Hubacher will also present "Challenging Behaviors, Discipline and the Law" on Thursday May 5.
- May 15, 2016: Rob Buikema presented "Ask The Expert—An Overview of Recent Developments in Labor Law" at the CUE—Positive Employee Relations conference on Sunday May 15 in Orlando, Florida.
- April 14, 2016: Gary Ruesch facilitated a discussion "Essential Question: Current Educational Law—What do we need to know?" for Cardinal Stritch Unversity's Breakfast Conversation Series.
- March 15, 2016: Gary Ruesch presented "How to Provide Legally Defensible Services: Point-Counter-Point" at the CESA #1 special education event in Pewaukee, WI.
- February 25, 2016: Joel Aziere presented "NLRB – Understanding the Evolving Landscape" at the MRA's Annual Federal and Wisconsin Employment Law Update, held in Milwaukee, WI.
- February 24, 2016: Gary Ruesch joined Lynn Boreson for a Point Counter-Point presentation at the 23rd Annual EBD Institute, held at the Westwood Conference Center in Wausau, WI. The event was sponsored by Marathon County Special Education.
- February 3, 2016: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented "Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students" at the WCASS Winter Conference in Appleton, Wisconsin.
- January 22, 2016: Mark Olson will present "Procedural Due Process Issues and Decisions" to the ABA Labor Law Midwinter Conference in New Orleans, LA. For more information, visit the ABA Web site >
- January 21, 2016: 2016 School Law Program & Reception, coinciding with the 2016 School Board Winter Conference. Sessions included "Retiree Health Insurance Issues" (Matthew Flanary and Kevin Pollard), "Transgender Nondiscrimination" (Mark Olson and Alana Leffler), and "Individual Contracts/Teachers/Administrators" (Dan Vliet and Gary Ruesch).
- January 8, 2016: Matthew Flanary presented "ACA Refresher for 2016" to the Municipal Employers Association of Southeast Wisconsin.
- November 13, 2015: Gary Ruesch and Alana Leffler presented "Emerging Legal Issues in 2015-16" at the CESA #1 Statewide School-Based OT/PT Conference in the Wisconsin Dells.
- October 15, 2015: Dan Vliet presented "Saying Goodbye: Law and Strategy for Managing Resignations, Buyouts and Retirements" at the 2015 WSAA/WASB Employment & School Law Seminar held in Madison, WI.
- October 15, 2015: Mary Hubacher presented "What's Trending with Federal and State Agencies on Student Discrimination Issues?" at the 2015 WSAA/WASB Employment & School Law Seminar held in Madison, WI.
- October 10, 2015: Mark Olson presented on a panel at the 7th Circuit Fellows' Fall Program for Law Students, "Transitioning to Practice: Getting Noticed, Getting Hired, and Being Successful"—at the Chicago office of Winston and Strawn LLP, in Chicago.
- July 29-31, 2015: Gary Ruesch presented "Results Driven Accountability: What Should Districts Do in 2015-16 and Beyond?" as part of the Wisconsin Association of School District Administrators (WASDA) Legal Seminar, held July 29-31 at the Stone Harbor Resort in Sturgeon Bay, WI.
- July 28, 2015: Nancy Pirkey provided an "FLSA Update" at the Master Academy of Civic and Public Affairs sponsored by the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.
- July 14, 2015: Alana Leffler presented "Section 504: An Overview and Practice Tips for Avoiding Compliance Mistakes" at the Waukesha School District Section 504 staff inservice.
- July 13, 2015: Nancy Pirkey presented "Basic Employment Law for Municipal Officials" at the Municipal Clerks & Treasurers Institute in Green Bay, WI.
- June 16, 2015: Matthew Flanary presented "Affordable Care Act for Municipal Employers" as part of the League of Wisconsin Municipalities' 2015 Clerks, Treasurers & Finance Officers Institute in Oshkosh, WI.
- June 5, 2015: Mark Olson and Alana Leffler presented "Top Things A Beginning Principal Should Know" to future Wisconsin School Administrators, through the Woodrow Wilson MBA Fellowship in Education Leadership at the Milwaukee School of Engineering.
- May 17, 2015: Mark Olson will be 50th Anniversary School Commencement speaker at University School of Milwaukee.