Robert H. Buikema
Rob advises both private and public sector employers on a variety of issues including contract negotiations, grievances and contract interpretation issues, arbitration, discrimination and harassment, FMLA, reasonable accommodation and disability discrimination, wage and hour issues, discipline and discharge and personnel policies and handbooks. For private employers, Rob counsels management on union avoidance, union elections and decertification campaigns. Rob has represented municipal employers in police & fire commission hearings, and represented both public and private sector employers in arbitrations, unfair labor practice proceedings, and hearings before state and federal administrative agencies. Rob has served as President of our law firm.
- JD, Marquette University Law School
- BA, History, Calvin College
- Member State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, Labor Lawyers Advisory Committee (CUE) Employers Association
- President, Board of Trustees, Trinity Christian College
- Member, Brookfield Christian School Foundation Board
- President, Lutheran High School Association of Greater Milwaukee Foundation Board
- Member, Milwaukee Rescue Mission Strategic Development Committee
- AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named to Best Lawyers in America® for 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019
Up Close & Personal
Q: What do you like to do outside of work?
A: I like to volunteer at my Church, local Christian School and in my community and spend time with my family.
Q: Do you have children? Tell us about them.
A: My wife, Danette, and I are blessed with four children. Derek is a pastor in Chicagoland and married to Aubrey. Natalie is a Doctor of Nursing Practice at the Medical ICU at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago and will be married soon to Eric. Evan is a doctoral candidate in Clinic Psychology at Wheaton College. Renee is in Human Resources at a Global Insurance Company in Omaha.
Q: What is your favorite vacation destination?
A: Our family loves Door County.
Q: What was your very first job?
A: I had a paper route – good tips!
Q: What do you do for fun?
A: I am a huge sports fan – Chicago teams (where I grew up) – especially the Cubs – this is the year!
Q: If I had not gone to law school, I would have become…
A: A Pastor or Christian School Administrator
Q: Who do you admire most and why?
A: My Mother. She loves and cares deeply and is a great Christian example to me and my family.