Daniel G. Vliet
Dan represents employers on a variety of labor and employment issues including labor negotiations, contract interpretation, grievance arbitration, wage and hour issues, discrimination and harassment, employment contracts and non-compete clauses, discipline and discharge, personnel policies and employee handbooks, medical leaves and reasonable accommodation, and other sensitive employment issues. Dan takes a proactive approach with employers to minimize liability in the areas of discipline and discharge and employee discrimination and harassment. Dan represents a wide variety of employers, including software companies, restaurant chains, manufacturers, school districts and municipalities.
Dan has served as an author and editor of a number of publications, including the BNA treatises on the FMLA and FLSA. He is the co-author of the Wisconsin chapter in Wage and Hour Laws: A State-by-State Survey by BNA.
- JD, Marquette University Law School
- MSIR, University of Wisconsin—Madison
- BA, Wheaton College
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Past Management Co-Chair, Membership Development Committee Labor and Employment Section, ABA
- Past Management Co-Chair, Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee, Labor and Employment Section, ABA
- Past President and Board Member, Wisconsin School Attorneys Association
- Former Board Member, Milwaukee Community Sailing Center
- President, Milwaukee Rotary Club (2015-2016)
- AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named to Best Lawyers in America® for 2010 – 2019
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2019
- Named the Milwaukee area’s “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Municipal Law by Best Lawyers in America® for 2014
Up Close & Personal
Q: What is your favorite movie about lawyers and why?
A: My Cousin Vinnie, because the lawyer reflects the hidden side of my personality.
Q: What was your very first job?
A: Paperboy for the Chicago Tribune
Q: What do you like most about your job?
A: Every day is a different challenge. Even after many years of practice, there is always something new and different to work on.
Q: Do you have a pet? What kind and what is its name?
A: We have a standard poodle named Augie and a Main Coon cat named Walter.
Q: What do you like to do outside of work?
A: While I don't claim to be a very good sailor, I do enjoy sailing our Hobie 16 on Lake Michigan and sailing with my son, Connor, whenever I can.
Q: Do you have children? Tell us about them.
A: Sally works for United Way. She really enjoys the opportunity she has to learn more about the challenges and opportunities facing Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties. Connor is a student at the University of San Francisco. He enjoys sailing in San Francisco Bay, which is quite a bit different than Lake Michigan.
Q: If you could take six-month sabbatical, what would you do?
A: I would go to Chile to learn Spanish and then visit Argentina to learn how to tango.
Q: What is your greatest personal accomplishment?
A: On good days, my children
Q: What is your favorite vacation destination?
A: Fountain Point on Lake Leelanau, near Traverse City, Michigan
Q: What do you do for fun?
A: My wife and I love to travel; there may not be enough time to visit everywhere we would like to go.