Renae Waterman Aldana
Renae advises school districts on special education, student discipline and general school law matters. Her practice focuses on special education mediation and litigation, and counseling school districts with strategies for preventing and responding to due process hearing requests. Renae’s work in this area includes successful defense of school districts in federal district court and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Renae regularly trains Wisconsin’s special education mediators, and frequently presents at statewide and national conferences regarding special education and other school law topics. Renae also does extensive writing in the area of special education law, and is a contributor to national publications such as the LRP Special Educator.
- JD, cum laude, University of Wisconsin Law School
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Past President and Board Member, Wisconsin School Attorneys Association
- Former Adjunct Faculty, Marquette University Law School
Up Close & Personal
- Q:What do you like to do outside of work?
A:I love spending time with my family, distance running, water sports, travel planning, volunteering at school and baking.
- Q:Do you have children? Tell us about them.
A:Yes—three wonderful boys (two teenagers and a 7-year-old.)
- Q:What is your favorite vacation destination?
A:Newport Beach, California.
- Q:Favorite snack—salty or sweet?
A:Both—it’s hard to think of anything better than chocolate with sea salt from Indulgence Chocolatiers!
- Q:What was your very first job?
A:My family lived in the Washington, D.C. area, where I was a high school intern for a U.S. Senator.
- Q:What do you like the most about your job?
A:Helping public school districts to meet the needs of children with disabilities and provide the best educational experience possible for all students.
- Q:What is your favorite thing about living in Wisconsin?
A:I love living close to my extended family (including my nieces!) and friends, the strong sense of community and outstanding public schools in our neighborhood, the beautiful views of Lake Michigan, and of course, the Wisconsin Badgers!