Matthew J. Flanary
Matt is head of the employee benefits practice at Buelow Vetter. He provides advice on the full range of employee benefit issues affecting both private and public sector employers, including qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, health and welfare plans, executive compensation planning, and employee benefit matters which arise during mergers and acquisitions. Matt also services two unique types of clients. First, he is familiar with the special issues which arise for school districts and municipalities in administering their employee benefit plans. In addition, Matt represents third-party providers and institutional investors with regard to employee benefit plans and products.
- JD, summa cum laude, University of Wisconsin Law School
- Member, State Bars of Wisconsin and Indiana
- Member, Milwaukee Bar Association (MBA)
- Former Chair of Employee Benefits Committee of MBA
- Past President and Director, Wisconsin Retirement Plan Professionals, Ltd.
- Member, Greater Milwaukee Employee Benefits Commission
- BV Distinguished rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Wisconsin Super Lawyer® 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Up Close & Personal
- Q:What is your favorite movie and why?
A:I love movies—all kinds of movies. Because I rent or go to several movies every week, my favorite movie changes every few weeks.
- Q:Do you have a pet? What kind and what is its name?
A:I have a dog and a cat. Julio is a Chihuahua and Snoozy Marshmallow is a ragdoll cat. Snoozy Marshmallow is bigger than Julio.
- Q:What do you like to do outside of work?
A:Travel, practice martial arts and watch lots of youth sports, theater, and dance.
- Q:Do you have children? Tell us about them.
A:I have 4 great kids. A daughter and three sons who range from grade school to college age. Until you have kids, I don’t think you appreciate how much you can really love another person—or appreciate how much your own parents must have loved you to put up with all the stuff you did.
- Q:If you could take a six-month sabbatical, what would you do?
A:Rent a Land Rover and drive from Alexandria, Egypt to Cape Town, South Africa.
- Q:What music would we find on your playlist?
A:All different ones. I have over 6,000 songs downloaded, with many different styles from classical music to opera, from punk rock to classic rock, with some blues and country and as well.
- Q:What is your favorite vacation destination?
A:Any place that is remote and warm, with nice people. I love the big island of Hawaii—our 50th state and a third world country all in one.