Joel S. Aziere
Joel primarily defends employers in litigation involving all aspects of labor and employment cases, ranging from grievance arbitration to NLRB proceedings and actions before state and federal agencies. Joel defends employers in a variety of cases filed in state and federal court, including disputes involving discrimination and harassment, wage and hour issues, employment contracts, enforceability of non-compete clauses, whistleblower protections and wrongful termination.
He has successfully defended numerous private employers in unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB, discrimination charges before the EEOC and ERD, and wage and hour claims before the Department of Labor and Wisconsin Labor Standards Bureau. Joel has represented clients in administrative, state and federal courts throughout the United States, including, but not limited to, the states of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and California. Joel also provides day-to-day advice on the full range of labor and employment topics, including counseling private employers during union organization and decertification campaigns.
- JD, summa cum laude, Creighton University School of Law
- BS, Engineering, Purdue University
- Commander’s List, U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s School
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, State Bar of Tennessee
- Bar admission to the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Bar admission to the Unites States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Bar admission to the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Bar admission to the United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- Bar admission to the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Bar admission to the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Bar admission to the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Bar admission to the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- Bar admission to the United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- Member, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Member, Wisconsin School Attorneys Association
- Member, Education Law Association
- Member, Employer Support for the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® magazine’s Rising Star® for 2006, 2007, 2011
Up Close & Personal
- Q:What is your favorite thing about living in Wisconsin?
A:I love the change of seasons, but most of all, I love going to Packers games. My dad and I have had season tickets since I was a little kid. I missed several seasons while I was in college, law school and the Army. After leaving the Army, I could not wait to get back to Wisconsin to go to the games again. We arrive at Lambeau Field four hours before kickoff to help set up and host very large tailgate parties before the games, then hangout after, while the traffic clears. Spending the entire day with my dad at Lambeau Field will always be some of the happiest times in my life.
- Q:What is your favorite lawyer movie and why?
A:A Few Good Men. Been there. Done that. My legal career started in the US Army JAG Corps. Watching that movie brings back fond memories of my time in uniform.
- Q:Do you have a pet? What kind and what is its name?
A:Yes. We have three dogs, affectionately named “The Pack.” Marley is a brindle-colored boarder collie mix, which was adopted from the Milwaukee Humane Society. Mylo is a smooth-coated collie mix, which was also adopted from the Milwaukee Human Society. Gunner is a Weimaraner, who we adopted from the Great Lakes Weimaraner Rescue (GLWR) after fostering him for several months. We also have an open fourth spot, which is often filled by strays or special needs dogs that seem to find their way into our home.
- Q:One thing that my clients do not know about me is…
A:I love fast cars. I have a very heavily modified 2013 VW Golf R that puts down over 500 horsepower that I love to race. I have taken it to Road America a couple of times and to various autocross courses. Every year, I take my R to a VW rally in Robbinsville, NC where we take on US 129, known as “The Tail of Dragon,” which contains 318 turns in 11 miles.
- Q:What do you do for fun?
A:Camping. I love the outdoors and absolutely love sitting around a campfire with a fine cigar, a tin cup of aged bourbon and my dogs.
- Q:What is your favorite quote and why?
A:“I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.” – Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto in Tora! Tora! Tora! regarding the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. Although there is no definitive evidence proving Yamamoto actually made this statement, it is widely believed to encapsulate his real feelings regarding the attack, which were proven to be true. As a student of American history, I remain in awe of what we, as a unified country, are able to accomplish and it reminds me of the greatness we have yet to achieve.