Clifford B. Buelow
Cliff represents private sector employers, school districts and municipalities of all sizes, whether union or non-union, on all aspects of labor and employment issues.
For private sector employers, he offers advice on union avoidance, unfair labor practices and other NLRA issues, collective bargaining, contract interpretation, grievance arbitration, policy drafting, employment contracts and non-compete clauses, discrimination and harassment, workplace safety, reasonable accommodation and medical leaves, workplace safety and other sensitive employment issues. He has successfully defended private sector employers in state and federal courts and before government agencies in more than 20 states throughout the country.
Cliff also advises school districts and municipalities on the unique issues affecting public sector employers including interest arbitration, open meetings, public records and constitutional claims of due process, free speech and search and seizure.
Additionally, Cliff is the former firm board chair and CFO.
- BA, University of Wisconsin
- JD, University of Michigan Law School
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court and U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Fourth and Seventh Circuits
- Former Chairman and emeritus member of the Board of Regents, Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Co-founder and emeritus member of Board of Directors, Time of Grace Ministry
- Co-founder and former board member, The Charis Institute
- Co-founder and former board member, WELS Lutherans for Life
- Co-Founder and former board member, WISCO Stewards
- Former member of the Board of Directors, Wisconsin Lutheran High School
- Named to Best Lawyers in America® in multiple categories for 2010-2016
- Named 2013 Milwaukee Litigation – Labor & Employment “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers®
- Named 2016 Milwaukee Labor Law – Management “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers®
- AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell since 1988
Up Close & Personal
- Q:What is your favorite lawyer joke?
A:My oldest child told me this joke after his first day of kindergarten. Q:“What is the difference between finding a dead skunk in the road and a dead lawyer in the road?” A:“Skid marks.” This child later graduated from Harvard Law School.
- Q:What do you like to do when you are not at work?
A:Play golf, hike/walk, read and spend time with family – particularly our grandkids.
- Q:Do you have children? Tell us about them.
A:Youbetcha. 10 in all. Scattered around the country and the globe, from Leiden in the Netherlands to Santa Monica, Los Angeles, Seattle, Indianapolis and Washington, D.C.
- Q:What music would we find on your playlist?
A:Michael Bublé, Chris Botti, Miles Davis, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Erik Satie, classical guitar, Bach and lots of Mozart.
- Q:What is your favorite book and why?
A:Atlas Shrugged. No explanation required.
- Q:What is your favorite quote and why?
A:“I have yet to look into an open mind and find anything.”
- Q:What was your very first job?
A:Caddie at Westmoor Country Club. In the small world category, the great-grandkids of the first member I caddied for now live a few houses away and play with some of my grandkids, who live only a 3 iron away from us.