Claire E. Hartley
Claire focuses her practice on representing school districts, municipalities and private employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, general school law and litigation. She regularly counsels clients on topics such as employee discipline, student discipline, public records/open meetings, employee and student handbooks, school board and employer policies, labor negotiations, grievance arbitration, prohibited practice complaints, discrimination complaints, restrictive covenants and dismissal and severance agreements. Additionally, she regularly defends employers in state and federal agencies and courts against claims of wage and hour law violations and claims of harassment or discrimination based on age, sex, sexual identity or orientation, race, disability, and pregnancy-related conditions.
- JD, Marquette University Law School, Dean’s List
- BA, University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign, James’ Scholar
- Member, State Bar Association of Wisconsin
- Member, Milwaukee Bar Association
- Bar admission, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Bar admission, United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- Bar admission, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- Member, Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association, Membership Committee
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Association of Women Lawyers
- Fundraising Event Planning Committee Member, Centro Legal
- Member, Former Board Member, Milwaukee Chapter of UNICO
Up Close & Personal
- Q: What do you like to do when you are not at work?
A: Play with my children and watch them experience new things, or be outside enjoying nature.
- Q: Do you have children? Tell us about them.
A: I have two beautiful children, Ethan and Caroline. They are the most spirited and silly, yet loving and kind human beings I know.
- Q: What is your favorite vacation destination?
A: Kauai, Hawaii. My husband and I went to Kauai on our honeymoon and almost stayed there! It is the most peaceful and beautiful place we have ever been.
- Q: What was your very first job?
A: Dairy Queen. To this day, I can make a perfectly-shaped soft-serve ice cream cone with the famous DQ curl on top.
- Q: What do you like most about your job?
A: The ability to help people and find creative solutions to my clients’ problems.
- Q: If I had not gone to law school, I would have become…
A: A high school teacher and track coach.
- Q: What is on your bucket list?
A: Taking a road trip in a convertible along California 101 and the Coasts of Oregon and Washington.