Brett D. Schnepper
Brett’s practice focuses on advising both public and private sector clients with benefit, retirement, and welfare plan design and potential issues. Brett provides advice regarding Internal Revenue Code, COBRA, HIPAA, and ERISA compliance. Brett also handles litigation, defending public and private employers before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Before joining Buelow Vetter, Brett worked for the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation where he represented the State of Illinois in administrative hearings on the enforcement of consumer protection laws, negotiated settlement agreements, and provided legal opinions on the application of proposed legislation to regulated industries.
- JD, Marquette University Law School
- BS, cum laude, Business Administration and Political Science, Illinois State University
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, State Bar of Illinois
Up Close & Personal
- Q: If I left the practice of law today, I would…
A: Continue my career in the corporate business world, where I worked prior to law school.
- Q: What is your favorite cuisine or meal?
A: A nice steak for dinner.
- Q: What is your favorite snack – salty or sweet?
A: Salty every time. I am a sucker for fries or chips.
- Q: Who is your favorite author and why?
A: David McCullough. His writing is easy to follow and told in a matter of fact manner. Reading his books is as though you can hear him narrating a piece on the History Channel.
- Q: What was your very first job?
A: Mowing yards in my neighborhood.
- Q: What was the moment when you wondered, why did I go to law school?
A: After my first law school final exam. Already feeling the stress from my exam, I made the trek home in a blizzard. What was normally a 1.5-hour drive turned into a 3+-hour nightmare.
- Q: What do you like the most about your job?
A: I enjoy hearing a client’s objective, or issue, and determining the best possible outcome or solution.
- Q: What is your favorite thing about living in Wisconsin?
A: The people. Most have the down-to-earth, work hard, but enjoy life, mentality that I share.