Alana M. Leffler
Alana’s practice focuses primarily on advising clients in the areas of special education law, general school law and labor and employment law. She counsels clients on topics such as student discipline, public records, open meetings, special education due process, employee discipline and dismissal, employment contracts, employee handbooks and issues arising under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Family Medical Leave Act. She also regularly presents on a number of topics relating to special education law and general school law.
- JD, magna cum laude, Marquette University Law School
- BA, English Literature, University of Wisconsin
- Charles M. Hart, Jr., Writers of Promise Award, 2003
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, Wisconsin School Attorneys Association
- Member, National Council of School Attorneys
Up Close & Personal
- Q: Do you have a pet? What kind of pet? What is its name?
A: I have a lab mix named Cracker. I found him on the street and ended up adopting him. He still has some issues, but I’m so proud of the progress he’s made over the years! Until recently, we also had a pit bull. He was a great dog!
- Q: What is your favorite movie and why?
A: “Lost in Translation.” It’s funny and touching, but in a subtle way. And Bill Murray’s in it, so enough said.
- Q: What do you do for fun?
A: I like to go fishing with my husband, out to dinner with my friends, up North with my family, and on long walks with my dog.
- Q: If you could take a 6-month sabbatical, what would you do?
A: I would probably just stay home and enjoy being a mom. There’s nothing wrong with a staycation!
- Q: What is your dream vacation destination?
- Q: What is your favorite book and why?
A: “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” by Ken Kesey. McMurphy is one of the greatest characters of all time. “The Dog Stars” and “The Poisonwood Bible” are some other favorites.
- Q: What music would we find on your playlist?
A: Bob Dylan, Ben Harper, Elvis, Kid Rock, Joni Mitchell, The Temptations, Bob Marley, Broadway musicals… a little bit of everything.
- Q: What is your favorite TV show and why?
A: “Lost.” It always kept me guessing, and I loved learning about the characters through flashbacks. “The Wire” is a very close second.
- Q: One thing my clients do not know about me is that I…
A: …play the harmonica.
- Q: Favorite cuisine or meal?
A: You can’t beat a soft pretzel with cheese. Does that count as cuisine?
- Q: Favorite thing about living in Wisconsin?
A: Being able to see my family so often—my parents, my brother, and my in-laws all live nearby. And I love the State Fair!